Thursday, June 7, 2012

Homemade Granola

I love granola, but it is expensive.  I also like controlling the ingredients (two of my children do not like dried fruit in their granola).  I make a batch every other month or so.  Makes the whole house smell yummy!
Recipe is as follows:
4 cups old-fashioned oats  (NOT instant oatmeal!)
1.5 cups of almond slices (or slivers)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (I use closer to one teaspoon since we LOVE cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Oven = 300 degrees F
In a large bowl, mix oats, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
In a small bowl, warm oil and honey (I use the microwave for 30 or so sec.).  When warm, whisk in vanilla extract.
Pour liquid over the dry ingredients.  Stir to coat all.  I use two parchment-paper-covered baking sheets.  Spread granola out.  Bake a total of 40 min., tossing the mixture every ten minutes.

When cooled, you can add dried fruit.  Store in an air-tight container for a couple/few weeks . . . if it lasts that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment