Friday, June 10, 2011

Hail Storm

Two weeks ago I was a volunteer timer for a rescheduled track meet.  They were trying to hurry these two events because a "BIG STORM" was headed our way.  I grew up in the midwest--if I had a dollar for every "big storm" predicted . . .
As my assigned runner was getting ready to cross the finish line with the ominous looking clouds in the background, the tornado siren blew.  I located both daughters who happened to be on the track and, like everyone else, went to take shelter in the bathrooms under the stadium.  My husband and son greeted me under the stadium, and without a fight sought shelter in the other bathroom.
The sirens stopped and we were instructed to get the heck out of here.  We pulled into our driveway less than two minutes before a hailstorm like I never experienced began.  The noise of these enormous, golfball-sized and larger hailstones hitting the house was deafening, frightening, and amazing all at once.  I was shocked that none of our windows were damaged.  Thankfully, no one in the area was hurt; however, there was widespread hail and wind damage.  The entire back of our home has over 100 holes/cracks like those pictured above.  The contractor yesterday told me that our brand new roof probably needs replaced, too.  The funny thing is--I wasn't bothered in the slightest by this damage.  Knowing no humans were hurt unlike similar storms recently across the country--it is simply replaceable/repairable "stuff." 

No comments:

Post a Comment