Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Out of My Running Slump?

Ever since I can remember, I always wanted to run a marathon.  I had run a couple half-marathons.  I either needed to go faster or farther--farther is MUCH easier.  At the age of 36, I got the brilliant idea of running "four before forty."  I completed my fourth marathon last fall--at the age of 39 (and a half).  I really struggled to fit the four weekly workouts in--I've very slow (if I ever break 10 minute pace on any distance, I'm thrilled). 
After the marathon , I basically didn't run for six months.  I started almost feeling sorry for myself:  no desire, no motivation, no mileage.  A year ago I was running 2+ hour runs; now I'm struggling to do three?!?!?!  This week I FINALLY felt I completed my first decent week since restarting running.  I didn't dread the beginning of every run.  Making myself attend a running group helped.  I am no where near where I was (which still isn't saying much), but I'm happy with how I feel. 

Running a marathon skews your perseption of running distances.  You forget how walking a 5K can be a very admirable goal.  You forget how exciting it was when you ran five miles for the first time; that distance is a "short" run during marathon training.  You forget the pride you feel running your first "double-digit" run.  I never was a super exercisor--I only ran four days a week (I am a self-proclaimed "under-achiever exerciser"). 
This week I came to terms that a "good week" doesn't necessarily require a PR or high mileage.  After this week's epiphany, I am content with where I am.  Now, what excuse can I use to get out of running group tonight . . . ha! ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment