Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dreamers of the Day

Dayton's "Big Read" was Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell.  I wanted to read it since it was THE Big Read and because an aquaintance of mine was facilitating a discussion group.  A couple of us were going to participate.  Of course the event was during my husband's travel stint, and I had volleyball driving duty.  I didn't make it--to the event or to finish the book by the date.
I did finish it last night.  I really enjoyed the book (some of the historical signficance was lost on me--I'm not very bright in this area).  The ending, however, was a surprise.  Normally, I enjoy this.  This ending almost didn't fit the tone of the book.  Almost a little too bizzare.  But one of the last lines (it doesn't spoil the book--I promise) said simply to "read to children."  How can you go wrong with a statement like that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment