Monday, January 18, 2010

My Brilliant Kindergartener


I remember sitting through the Kindergarten orientation for my oldest.  I was a teacher.  My child was brilliant.  I was the stay-at-home mom who worked with and read to my girls all the time.  I knew these teachers would be amazed at my child.  The presentation continued, and the teacher mentioned that the children who were already reading . . .  WHAT?!?!?  Hold everything!  A child going into kindergarten already reading!?!?  There must be some mistake.  My brilliant child isn't anywhere close to reading.
The reality--my child is . . . you guessed it . . . average.

Fastforward seven years.  My youngest child is reading in kindergarten.  Is it because of my brilliance as a teacher and all of the work I've invested in him?  No.  He's just ready to read earlier than his sisters.  I feel like I've done less with him (formally) than I have his sisters, but he's actually much sharper than I remember them being in kindergarten.  One reason--he's older.  He is an October birthday, thus, almost six when kindergarten started.  Second reason--I think his sisters and his father have made up for what I have not done.  Who knows--maybe he will be ABOVE average.  Wink! Wink!

No comments:

Post a Comment